Wednesday, March 19, 2014

God Among Us! Our Heritage through Jesus is Heavenly! John 1:6-13

Today's scripture is mind-blowing as we try to comprehend the Creator and His love for us, His children, adopted into the Family as sons and daughters of the Almighty God!

"6 There was a man sent from God whose name was John. He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all might believe. He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light.
The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God" (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%201&version=NIV) 

John the Baptist is introduced in this passage as the one who came before to bear witness to the arrival of the promised Messiah, the Son of God.  Jesus came to visit His Creation, yet we did not recognize him, and we were not very receptive to His arrival or His claims to be our promised Savior.  I cannot help but wonder how many times I have failed to recognize Him when walking down the street, or through the grocery store, rushing through so I can experience the comforts of home.  How many times driving past someone struggling to carry their bags to the closest bus stop, or even those with whom God would have me to interact on His behalf.  What does Jesus look like today?  I remember the following verse:   Matthew 25:45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me’" (http://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?quicksearch=the+least+of+these&qs_version=NIV).  I have received my inheritance, and I do my best to walk in obedience and surrender by the power given by the Holy Spirit, but how often do I allow the "pressing" issues of the day cloud my ability to recognize our Savior in need.  We have been given the right to become children of God!  All we need to do is receive Jesus, and believe in His Name that we are sinners in need of a Savior, and that Jesus is our Savior.  Confess our sins, ask for forgiveness, and accept Jesus as our Savior, believing that our sins are forgiven, and living, empowered by the Holy Spirit, a life of obedience to Him.  How many of us would proclaim our wealth and success if we were found by a rich "king" and given our dream promotion that included riches and wealth beyond our imagination?  I imagine we would find this type of "luck" to be more than we could contain.  The joy and freedom of being able to live anywhere, travel anywhere, and purchase anything we wanted would be shouted to anyone who would listen.  This being the case, why is it so hard to proclaim our heavenly wealth in light of an eternity spent with Jesus in luxury, versus and eternity in hell with immeasurable eternal anguish.  I find myself truly convicted as I am writing, and I pray for the Holy Spirit of God to empower me so I can bear witness of the riches I have as a child of the King, the one true King over everything, and my eternal inheritance that puts any earthly wealth or fortune to shame.  We who have received Jesus are born of God, and this is something for which to proclaim.

Lord Jesus, thank you for your love, mercy, grace, and salvation.  Thank you for living among us in various forms, and I pray for the empowerment of the Holy Spirit to recognize You in those who are in need, and that I will take the time to speak into their lives for Your glory.  Please help me to proclaim Your Gospel to others, and let them know of the riches that are available to those who receive Jesus as Savior, and become born of God and adopted as sons and daughters into Your family.  I love you, and pray for Your guidance and blessing on this day, and on anyone reading this that You will minister to them as You have ministered to me.  In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment